Today marks the start of National Homeownership Month, an annual event that focuses on the long-standing tradition of homeownership serving as a symbol of prosperity and success in the U.S.
"Studies on homeownership prove that it enhances our lives in many ways, and among them is how we plant deeper stakes within the communities we call home," noted John L. Heithaus, CMO of MRIS. "Since navigating the housing market has become more complex than ever-- any potential homebuyer, whether a first time buyer or not, can benefit from solid professional advice in their pursuit of homeownership."
To that end, MRIS has compiled the following list of "must read" tips from among its 45,000+ network of real estate professionals, reinforcing some of the best practices for ensuring that potential homebuyers are home-ready.
1. Understand and update your FICO credit score.This single number plays a major role in determining the interest rate on your mortgage, so it's vital to know what your FICO score is, address any discrepancies and take corrective action to improve your score if it's below par. As of May 2012, 664 was listed as the national average, and the median was listed as 723. According to Heithaus, individuals with scores of at least 700 tend to get the best rates on a mortgage. Each of the nationwide consumer reporting companies -- Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion -- are required to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once per year. To order, visit http://www.annualcreditreport.com.
2. Know what you can afford. Up to 12 months in advance of your desired home purchase, establish a relationship with a trusted mortgage lender who can help you identify your monthly payment goals, target purchase price and the types of loans you are qualified for based on your current financial situation.
3. Boost your savings. After you have determined your monthly payment goals and target purchase price, make sure you have the cash on hand for when you are ready to buy. We suggest saving enough money for six months of mortgage payments, as well as a minimum of 3.5% of the purchase price to cover the down payment and closing costs. First-time and repeat homebuyers should also establish reserves for less visible expenses, such as closing costs, moving costs, home repairs, renovations and planned upgrades when saving for a home.
4. Avoid making major purchases. When preparing to buy a home, it's important to stay away from big-ticket items, such as purchasing a car, in order to keep your cash reserves high and show the lender that you'll be able to service the mortgage debt more easily.
5. Understand the micro-local real estate market. Homebuyers can save themselves money by watching the seasonal trends in their targeted area(s) and being financially prepared to make an offer when the time is right. Ask your real estate professional for detailed reports from RealEstate Business Intelligence (http://www.rbintel.com) on local market conditions to help guide your decision based on the trends in particular neighborhoods.
6. Consult a real estate professional. Long before you are ready to buy, seek out and interview up to three real estate professionals who can prepare you to face the market by addressing questions, setting realistic expectations and providing valuable insight and expertise to the complex process of home purchasing. Heithaus advises that "This is no time to 'go it alone,' and an expert real estate professional can help navigate you through a successful purchase. Search the most currently available listings, and locate a real estate professional online at http://www.HomesDatabase.com.
MRIS is real estate in real time(TM), enabling its customers to list and sell nearly $100 million in real estate each day. In 2011, the company facilitated $33.6 billion in cooperative broker sales. A leading systems developer and integrator of real estate information technology and databases, MRIS connects its customers with timely, accurate and actionable data with a growing portfolio of technology solutions. This includes broker and agent software products, an industry-leading consumer real estate portal, HomesDatabase.com and many others. MRIS also showcases unique homes and offers tailored community information through its online television network, mrisTV.com. Behind the scenes, the CURE Solutions Group subsidiary of MRIS provides back-end technology to other MLS systems through CURE, a proprietary solution. MRIS serves nearly 45,000 real estate professionals spanning a 22,000 square mile section of the Mid-Atlantic region, including Maryland, Virginia, Washington, D.C. and markets located in Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Visit MRIS at MRIS.com, "Like" us on Facebook.com/MRISonFB, and follow us on Twitter, @MRIS_REal_News.
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/6/prweb9565525.htm
|09:12 PM||Announcing Automatr: The First Full-Featured Marketing Automation Solution Optimized for Drupal|
|09:07 PM||Website Risk Report Released by SiteLock.com|
|09:06 PM||Zensah(R) Comments on New York Daily News Article Examining How Better Sports Bra Could Help Women Marathoners|
|09:05 PM||ENH Power to Support Oklahoma Tornado Relief Efforts|
|09:04 PM||Supporters Carry on Cause of Golf Icon Ken Venturi at 23rd Annual Loma Linda University Proton Charity Invitational|
|09:04 PM||Thermoforming vs. Injection Molding Infographic Released|
|09:04 PM||Veterans Disability Appeals See Fewer Decisions in FY2012, Reports Allsup|
|09:03 PM||Buckeye Knoll Releases First Single from New Album, Lovecreek|
|09:03 PM||Sit 'n Sleep Announces 10 Crazy Predictions for the Future of Beds|
|09:02 PM||Industrial Motor Power Chairman Donates to Assist Oklahoma|
|09:02 PM||Yosemite Tour Company Earns Award from TripAdvisor|
|09:02 PM||TE Connectivity Introduces Versatile, Cost-Effective M.2 (NGFF) Connectors for Smaller, Lighter and Thinner Computing Devices|
|08:53 PM||LeadFerret Announces Directory of Employees at Non-Profit Organizations|
|08:38 PM||New AC Temperature Controller Announced by Oven Industries|
|08:35 PM||Bay Area Discovery Museum Makes History, First Class of Creative Thinkers Graduate|
|08:34 PM||Charlotte Muscle Team Event Raises $300,000 in the Fight Against Muscle Disease|
|08:32 PM||Zamansky & Associates LLC Updates Its Investigation of the Paulson "Feeder" Funds for Potential Additional Losses Suffered from Investments in Gold|
|08:32 PM||Miller Weldmaster Receives Presidential Award For Exports|
|08:17 PM||WellCare Board Elects David J. Gallitano as Chairman|
|08:14 PM||WCI Consulting Releases SAP Qualified 10 Day Rapid Mart and Business Analytics Rapid Deployment Solution (RDS)|
|08:08 PM||Digital House Hunting: Paving the Way for Today's Tech Savvy Consumer|
|08:03 PM||Texas Power Helps Levitt Pavilion Arlington Bring Big Music Names to North Texas for Public Concerts|
|08:03 PM||Concentrics Research Adds Senior Executives|
|08:02 PM||Qstream & Proficient Learning Sign Partnership Agreement|
|08:02 PM||EBSCO Publishing and EBSCO Information Services Merge|
|08:01 PM||International Luxury Real Estate Broker Maria Babaev Interviewed by Wealth Reporter on CNBC at Fort Hill House in Lloyd Neck, New York|
|07:47 PM||ARME Realty Now Offering Real Estate SEO Services Nationwide|
|07:47 PM||Zane Benefits Publishes New Information on Alabama Health Insurance Exchange|
|07:46 PM||Attorneys Charles Boyk and Alan Mortensen Announce a Clyde Town Hall Meeting|
|07:42 PM||Chase Freedom Presents: Smart Spending Tips for Warm Weather Entertaining with Lifestyle Expert and Celebrity Party Planner Colin Cowie|
|More Press Releases From PRWeb|