IRVINE, Calif., May 24, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- All new from the ground up and Mazda's first vehicle to fully incorporate SKYACTIV®(1) TECHNOLOGY, the 2013 CX-5 compact SUV has exceeded early expectations the world over by impressing not only critics but consumers as well. Entering the ever-expanding and always competitive compact SUV segment was never considered an easy task but CX-5 has proven itself a more than able-bodied contender.
"The 2013 CX-5 offers many of the needs and wants of compact SUV shoppers – and then some," said Robert Davis, senior vice president, U.S. Operations, Mazda North American Operations (MNAO). "Its best-in-class fuel economy for both front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive models as well as its precise handling and dynamic ability to perform on a demanding race track such as Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca proves that the better, stronger, smarter philosophy behind SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY is not a gimmick but truly ground-breaking engineering."
Available in limited quantities at the end of February, CX-5 has enjoyed steadily brisk dealership traffic with total year-to-date sales in the United States of 7,503 units. Northern neighbor, Mazda Canada, Inc., has achieved sales of 3,324 units, an equally impressive figure in its smaller automotive market of about 2 million units (compared to the U.S.'s estimate of more than 14 million units).
Other global regions are experiencing similarly strong sales figures. In Australia, CX-5 is the country's best-selling compact SUV over the March and April period with more than 2,800 units sold. Russia leads the way in Europe with more than 7,500 vehicles ordered. Germany is a close second, achieving more than 5,000 vehicle orders since launching a little more than a month ago.
In Japan, home to global headquarters Mazda Motor Corporation, the annual sales target for CX-5 was initially set at 12,000 units. Since the vehicle's launch in mid-February, CX-5 has been an uber-overachiever with sales already topping nearly 16,000 units. CX-5 models equipped with the 2.2-liter SKYACTIV-D diesel engine comprise nearly 80 percent of the domestic sales mix with the 2.0-liter SKYACTIV-G gasoline engine making up the remaining 20 percent. In North America, only the SKYACTIV-G engine is available, making the region the global leader in sales of that engine.
Available in three trim levels – Sport, Touring and Grand Touring – CX-5 starts at a competitive $20,695(2) MSRP in the U.S. The CX-5 Sport FWD, when equipped with the SKYACTIV-MT six-speed manual transmission, achieves a class-leading estimated EPA fuel economy of 26 city and 35 highway miles per gallon (MPG). The CX-5 Sport AWD, when equipped with the SKYACTIV-Drive six-speed automatic transmission, is EPA rated at an equally best-in-class fuel economy of 25 city and 31 highway MPG.
The 2013 CX-5 also is recognized as a "Top Safety Pick" by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States and Mexico through more than 700 dealers. Operations in Mexico are managed by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City.
(1) SKYACTIV is a registered trademark of Mazda Motor Corporation (MC).
(2) Starting price is manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP). MSRP does not include $795 destination charge (Alaska $840), title, taxes, license, options and dealer charges. Actual prices set by dealer and may vary.
SOURCE Mazda North American Operations